Original blog post: https://spatulagoddess.com/2011/03/11/apple-cake-with-cream-cheese-frosting/
Recipe source: Betty Crocker
Time required: 2 hours
Yields: 32 squares
- baking pan: 9″ x 13″
- apple peeler & apple corer
- spatula (do not use a flexible one)
- electric beaters
- 3 tart apples (or 6 medium carrots)
- 1½ C granulated white sugar
- 1 C vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, room temp
- 2 C flour
- 1½ TSP ground cinnamon
- 1 TSP baking soda
- 1 TSP vanilla
- ½ TSP salt
- ¼ TSP ground nutmeg
- one package (8 oz) cream cheese, room temp
- ¼ C butter (half a stick or 4 TBSP), room temp
- 1 TBSP milk
- 1 TSP vanilla
- 4 C icing sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 176°C / 350°F, centre rack.
- Grease and flour baking pan.
- Peel apples, core apples, and dice into small pieces. Set aside.
- In medium bowl combine: flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In large bowl, beat on Low for 30 seconds: sugar, oil, vanilla, and eggs.
- Beat dry ingredients into wet, adding a third at a time until blended.
- Once all dry mixture is added, beat on Low for 1 min, frequently scraping the sides.
- Using a hard spatula, stir apple pieces into batter.
- Pour batter in greased pan, use spatula to smooth batter down. Shake pan and let it settle for a few minutes, then place in oven.
- Bake 40-45 min, it’s done when toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan, on rack, at least 1 hour.
- Remove cake from pan and make your frosting.
- In medium bowl on High, beat the cream cheese until smooth.
- Add butter, milk, vanilla, and beat on Low until smooth.
- Still on Low, beat in icing sugar, one cup at a time, until mixture is smooth and spreadable.
- Store frosted cake in fridge, covered.
- Let frosting set before cutting cake.