I love blueberry muffins. My mom makes amazing blueberry muffins, and hers are the standard to which every other muffin falls short. She uses the recipe of her good friend.
I grew up within a short drive of the Wild Blueberry Capital of Canada, and blueberries are the official fruit of my home province. Represent, bitches.
There is a large blueberry field behind my dad’s cottage, so I have eaten a lot of blueberries in my life. In fact blueberries are such a big deal where I grew up, we have town festivals to celebrate them. Imagine. Everybody turns out just to pimp one particular fruit. When I was little, we’d dress in blue shirts and stand on marked spots to form a big human blueberry and they’d take aerial photos.
Time required: 1 hr
Total cost if you have none of the ingredients: $28
Cost per muffin: $2
Kitchen implements I used:
- muffin tin + large muffin liners
- 2 C flour
- ½ C granulated white sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 3½ tsp baking powder
- 1 C milk
- ⅓ C vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 C blueberries
1. Pre-heat open to 400°F / 204°C and put muffin liners in tray.
2. Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Measure out the milk and oil into a liquid measuring cup.
4. Beat egg until it’s foamy, then add to liquid.
5. Add wet to dry, stirring until just combined. The batter will have a slight pull to it.
6. Fold in the blueberries. Hopefully you have Canadian berries, but if not I guess you’ll have to make do with your inferior fruit. Frozen berries bleed colour but who cares because the bluer the merrier.
7. Spoon batter into prepared tray.
Leave some room for expansion.
8. Bake 18-20 minutes and move to wire rack.
9. After cooling, store in a sealed container. Take one with your tea and call me in the morning.
Verdict: Delicious! The texture improved over night.
I did try one last night after they were freshly made, and found it a bit disappointing. The bottom of the muffin stuck to the liner. I called Mom, who suggested bake them for 15 minutes, leave them in tray for 2 minutes, then transfer to wire rack.
But when I had one this morning, it was bang on and the liner peeled off without sticking. So I think I’ll reduce baking time by 2 minutes next time and see how it goes.
Playlist: Final Fantasy VI – Another World of Beasts