Original blog post: https://spatulagoddess.com/2013/05/12/pattys-apple-strudel-explosion/
Yields: 6 pieces
- large baking sheet
- parchment paper
- 3 apples
- 3 TBSP golden brown sugar
- 2 TBSP water
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 TBSP powdered corn starch
- ¼ C lemon juice
- 4 sheets of phyllo pastry
- 3 TBSP melted butter
- 3 tsp finely ground bread crumbs
1. Pre-heat oven to 350°F / 176°C. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and dust with flour.
2. Peel, core, and mince the apples. Toss fruit in sauce pan with the water, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer and cook on Med-Low for 10 min, stirring often.
3. Use slotted spoon to remove fruit from sauce pan and set aside. Add 2-3 tablespoons of cornstarch to the juice left in the sauce pan, whisk until smooth. Put the fruit back in and simmer one more minute.
4. Place one piece of phyllo on the baking tray. Brush with butter, and sprinkle one teaspoon of breadcrumbs. Do this two more times, then add fourth and final layer (do not add butter or crumbs to top layer).
5. Spoon the filling down one side vertically, leaving room at the edges.
6. Use the parchment paper to support the pastry as you lift it, you’re trying to tuck it over and under the apple filling, and then carefully roll it over like so. Once you’ve got the first turn, peel the parchment paper back towards you. Keep turning it, and between turns try to smooth it with your hands to an even shape. Roll it up 3-4 times until it’s at the edge.
7. Brush butter inside the open edge then flip it so the seam is on the bottom. Tuck the ends in.
8. Dust with a cinnamon sugar mix.
9. Bake 20 min until golden brown.
10. Cool on rack at least 5 min before serving.