Original blog post: https://spatulagoddessdotcom.wordpress.com/2012/02/02/blueberry-poppy-seed-cake/
Recipe source: KitchenAid 3 cookbooks in 1: pies & tarts, cakes & cupcakes; breads
Time required: 1 hour
Yields: 10-12 pieces
- Nemo the KitchenAid
- pastry blender
- round 9″ pan
- tin foil
- 1½ C flour
- ½ C granulated white sugar
- 1 TSP baking powder
- ½ TSP baking soda
- ¼ TSP salt
- ¼ C butter, cold (half a stick)
- 1 TBSP poppy seeds
- ¾ C buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 TSP vanilla
- 1 TSP lemon juice
- 1 C blueberries, washed and dried
- Pre-heat oven to 176.6°C / 350°F. Line baking pan with foil, and grease.
- In a large bowl, combine: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Use pastry blender to cut in butter until coarse crumbs form. Mix in poppy seeds.
- In mixer, whisk eggs, vanilla, buttermilk, and lemon juice.
- Add wet mixture to dry, until just combined.
- Place half of the batter into prepared pan, then sprinkle berries into batter.
- Drop remaining batter onto the berries, and attempt to spread evenly. Leave some berries uncovered.
- Bake 33 min. Cool in pan for 2 min after baking, then use tinfoil to lift from pan.
- Remove tinfoil, and cool at least 15 min before slicing.