Original blog post: https://spatulagoddess.com/2011/08/23/chocolate-caramels/
Time required: 1 hr, plus over night to set
Yields: about 28 pieces
- candy thermometer
- baking pan 8″ x 8″ and one larger one to create cold bath
- tin foil
- plastic wrap
- mini muffin cups
- ice cubes
- 18 TBSP unsalted butter (2 sticks + 2 TBSP), melted
- 1 C granulated white sugar
- 1 C brown sugar, packed
- 1 C corn syrup
- 414 mL sweetened condensed milk
- 6 TBSP cocoa
- 1 TSP pure vanilla extract
- coarse sea salt
- Line baking pan with foil and grease.
- Measure out condensed milk and cocoa, set aside.
- In a heavy-bottomed sauce pan, add: butter, white and brown sugars, and corn syrup. Cook over Medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Once mixture is boiling, add cocoa powder and condensed milk. Reduce heat to Medium-Low and stir often (almost constantly).
- Cook until it reaches soft ball stage, a temperature of 118°C / 245°F which should take at least half an hour.
- As soon as you reach correct temperature, remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Immediately pour into prepared pan. Then place dish into cold water bath.
- After the water is no longer cold, remove dish from water and cover with plastic wrap.
- Leave it on the counter overnight to set.
- In the morning cut with sharp knife and sprinkle with sea salt.