Original blog post: https://spatulagoddess.com/2012/10/04/cookies-cream-ice-cream/
Recipe source: KitchenAid manual
Time required: 2 days (1.5 hour of actual work)
- KitchenAid stand mixer
- ice cream maker attachment
- 2½ C half and half
- half of one vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 C granulated white sugar
- ⅛ TSP salt
- 2½ C heavy cream
- 10 Oreo cookies
- In a heavy-bottomed sauce pan on medium heat, combine scraped vanilla bean and the half and half. Heat to steaming, then remove from heat.
- Combine egg yolks, sugar, and salt. Whisk on low for 30 seconds.
- Pour hot half and half mixture through strainer and temper into the eggs. Whisk on low to combine.
- Return entire mixture to stove top, and heat to scalding. When small bubbles form at the edge it’s ready.
- Transfer mix to a metal bowl and place into cold water bath. This will cool the temperature to prevent it from cooking.
- Cover mixture and chill overnight.
- The next day, chop up Oreos and set aside.
- Take chilled ice cream bowl from freezer, assemble drive shaft and base, set in the stand. Set the dasher inside the bowl and turn mixer on lowest speed. The head should grab the dasher and turn smoothly. MIXER MUST BE RUNNING BEFORE YOU ADD LIQUID.
- In one pour, add the entire chilled mix to the running mixer. Churn on lowest speed for 20 minutes. It will start rising up the sides and you will need to scrape the rim clean.
- When 30 seconds are left, add the Oreos.
- Transfer to a tupperware container and freeze for a few hours to harden.
- Let stand 5 min on counter to soften before scooping.