Original blog post: https://spatulagoddessdotcom.wordpress.com/2011/12/26/eggnog/
Recipe source: The Tasty tRuth
Time required: 1 hour
Yields: 3-4 large glasses
- electric mixer / whisk
- 2 C milk
- 1 C heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 1 TSP nutmeg
- 4 egg yolks, 4 egg whites
- ⅓ C sugar + 1 TBSP
- Separate yolks and whites. Place yolks in mixing bowl, set whites aside for later.
- Beat yolks until colour lightens.
- Gradually add ⅓ C of sugar to the yolks, beat until thoroughly dissolved.
- In a sauce pan, add milk, cream, nutmeg, and vanilla bean. Stir often, heat to scalding and remove from heat.
- Strain and temper hot cream into yolks, adding about one third at a time. Once cream and yolks are combined, return to sauce pot, stir gently. Heat to 160°F / 71.1°C, and remove from heat.
- Transfer hot mixture to mixing bowl and chill.
- Meanwhile, in another mixing bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks.
- Add 1 TBSP of sugar to whites, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Whisk whites into chilled mixture. Keep combined mixture chilled, pour and serve.