Original blog post: https://spatulagoddess.com/2012/05/21/graham-cracker-lemon-squares/
Recipe source: lemon filling from David Lebovitz’s blog
Time required: 1 hour
Yields: maybe 30
- electric mixer
- sauce pan
- mesh plate
- shallow baking pan
- ⅓ C butter, unsalted
- 1½ C graham cracker crumbs
- 3 TBSP granulated white sugar
- 1 C lemon juice (2-3 large lemons)
- grated zest of one lemon, wash and dry it first
- 1 C granulated white sugar
- 6 TBSP unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- Pre-heat oven to 176°C / 350°F. Line baking pan with foil.
- Melt butter in the microwave. Stir in sugar and graham crumbs.
- Pat into prepared pan and bake 10 min. Cool on wire rack.
- In a sauce pan combine lemon juice, zest, sugar, and butter and heat on Low until the butter is melted. Remove from heat.
- Beat the eggs and yolks, and temper in the hot butter mix.
- Return to stove and heat on Low until curd thickens (stir often), and when it starts to bubble, remove from heat.
- Strain and pour directly onto crust.
- Bake 5 min.
- Cool on rack, then cover and chill for at least an hour before slicing.