Original blog post: https://spatulagoddess.com/2013/03/17/grandmas-scotch-cakes-st-patricks-style/
Recipe source: my Grandma!
Time required: 1 hour
Yields: around 24-28 cookies depending on the size of your cookie cutter
- stand mixer
- shamrock cookie cutter
- 2 C flour
- 1 C butter, softened
- ½ C icing sugar
- ½ C powdered corn starch
- ½ tsp salt
- food colouring as desired
- optional frosting (3 C icing sugar, 5 TBSP butter, 2 TBSP milk, 1 TBSP lemon juice, dash of vanilla, 2 drops mint oil)
1. Pre-heat oven to 204°C / 400°F.
2. Cream the butter.
3. Combine all other ingredients (except the dye) in a bowl, and slowly add to the butter and beat til just blended, then add dye. It will look crumbly when it’s done.
4. Roll the dough into a big ball and knead it for a few minutes, then separate dough into 2-3 balls.
5. One at a time, roll out each ball on a floured surface until about ¼” thick. Use awesome cookie cutter and transfer to pan.
6. Bake 7 minutes, cool in pan 1 min, then transfer to wire rack. The edges should be slightly golden.
7. Meanwhile make your frosting. Beat softened butter, then add icing sugar, milk, vanilla, and lemon juice. Beat until combined, then add dye and peppermint oil.
8. Sprinkle shaved chocolate onto frosted cookies.