Original blog post: https://spatulagoddess.com/2011/04/27/lemon-bars/
Recipe source: Betty Crocker
Time required: 2 hours
Yields: 25 pieces
- baking pan: 8″ x 8″
- lemon juicer
- electric beaters
- 1 C flour
- ½ C butter (1 stick), room temp
- ¼ C icing sugar
- 1 C granulated white sugar
- 3 lemons (2 TBSP juice and 2 TSP grated peel)
- ½ TSP baking powder
- ¼ TSP salt
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 4 drops yellow food colouring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 176°C / 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, use a wooden spoon to cream together: butter, flour, and icing sugar. It will form a ball.
- Place dough into ungreased baking pan, press it flat with your hand. (The book says that if the dough is sticky, to dip your fingers in water, but I didn’t notice a problem.)
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile…with a mixer on High, beat: granulated sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel, baking powder, salt, and eggs. Add everything at once, beat 3-4 min until fluffy.
- As soon as crust is finished baking, pour liquid onto hot crust.
- Bake 25-30 min.
- Test for doneness by lightly pressing down onto the top, when it’s done, the top will spring back up, but if it leaves an indentation it’s not done.
- Cool 1 hour (in pan).
- Cut into squares and sprinkle with icing sugar.