Original blog post: https://spatulagoddess.com/2011/03/04/malt-chocolate-brownies/
Recipe source: Good Housekeeping
Time required: 20 min prep, 20 min bake, and 1-2 hour cooling
Yields: 32 squares
- 9″ x 13″ pan
- 1½ C flour
- ½ TSP baking powder
- ½ TSP salt
- ¾ C unsalted butter, softened (1.5 sticks)
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (4 squares)
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate (2 squares)
- 1½ C granulated white sugar
- 1 TBSP vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, room temp
- ¾ C malted milk powder
- 3 TBSP milk
- 1 TSP vanilla extract
- 3 TBSP unsalted butter, softened
- 1 C icing sugar
- 1 C malted milk balls, quartered
- Pre-heat oven to 176°C / 350°F. Use centre rack.
- Line baking pan with foil and grease.
- Make batter, using whisk to combine 3 ingredients in a medium bowl; flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Melt butter in sauce pan on Low. Use serrated blade to chop candy.
- Add chocolate to melted butter (still on Low), stir until melted, then remove from heat.
- Use wooden spoon to mix sugar into chocolate, then vanilla – stir until thoroughly blended.
- Beat eggs into chocolate.
- Transfer chocolate to a large mixing bowl, and add the flour about one third at a time, mixing until blended. (My sauce pan is too small to add the flour to the chocolate in the original pan). Colour lightens quite a bit.
- Pour batter into foil-lined pan, bake at least 20 minutes. When done, a toothpick inserted about an inch from the edge should be clean.
- Leave in pan, cool on rack completely. Meanwhile…
- Make frosting; using a whisk in a small bowl to stir together: malted milk powder, milk, and vanilla.
- Use pastry blender to cream in butter.
- Cut in icing sugar, about one third at a time.
- Spread frosting evenly over brownie.
- Chop each malted candy in half, and then halve each piece again (quartering them), sprinkle on top of frosted brownie – let set.
- After frosting has set, lift entire brownie from the pan using the tinfoil edges. Peel tinfoil away.
- Use sharp knife to slice lengthwise into 4 strips, then cut each strip crosswise into 8 pieces.