Original blog post: https://spatulagoddess.com/2011/04/03/gingerbread-top-loaf/
Recipe source: my mom!
Time required: 2.5 hours (30 min prep, 40 min baking, plus cooling)
Yields: 16 pieces or more
- baking pan 9″ x 9″ (PICTURE ABOVE HAS WRONG TYPE OF PAN)
- ½ C shortening
- ½ C granulated white sugar
- 1 egg, room temp
- 1 C molasses
- 1 C boiling water
- 2¼ C flour
- 1½ TSP baking soda
- 1 TSP salt
- 1 TSP ginger, ground
- 1 TSP cinnamon, ground
- ½ TSP cloves, ground
- Pre-heat oven 177°C / 350°F. Boil water in the kettle for later.
- Grease and flour the baking pan.
- In a small bowl combine: flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening, sugar, and egg, until fluffy.
- Add molasses to wet mixture and beat in well.
- Stir in boiling water.
- Add dry mixture to wet.
- Pour mixture into baking pan, bake 45 min.
- Remove loaf from pan.
- Cool on rack for at least one hour before slicing.