Original blog post: https://spatulagoddess.com/2011/09/06/my-little-pony-cupcakes/
Time required: 1.5 hrs
Yields: 24 medium cupcakes
- electric mixer
- muffin tin
- 3 egg whites, room temp
- 3 TBSP of 2% milk
- ⅓C + 3 TBSP buttermilk (all together, not divided)
- 1½ TSP vanilla extract
- 2 C self-rising cake flour
- 1 C granulated white sugar
- 2½ TSP baking powder
- ½ C butter, room temp
- 4-5 TBSP of juice from a thawed package of frozen blueberries
- 16 drops blue food colouring
- 5 TBSP butter, room temp
- 3 C icing sugar
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 TBSP milk
- 2 TBSP thawed blueberry juice
- Pre-heat oven to 175°C / 347°F. Use rack that is third from the top.
- Separate the egg whites into a medium bowl, and save the yolks for something else. Stir in the vanilla and the 2% milk. Whisk until just combined and set aside.
- In your mixer, with a flat beater attachment, add: cake flour, white sugar, and baking powder. Beat on Low for 30 seconds.
- Add butter and the buttermilk. Beat on Low until combined, and then beat on Medium for 90 seconds.
- Add the food colouring and blueberry juice. Beat until combined.
- Add half the egg white mixture and continue on Medium speed for 30 seconds. Add the remaining egg whites, beat another 30 seconds.
- Spoon into muffin tins. Bake 19 min or less.
- Immediately transfer to cooling rack for at least one hour before frosting.
- Make your frosting by combining the butter, icing sugar, milk, lemon juice, and blueberry juice. Beat until smooth. If frosting is runny add more sugar.