Original blog post: https://spatulagoddess.com/2012/12/27/nannys-date-squares/
Recipe source: Purity Cookbook, edition unknown
Time required: 3 hr (2 hr is cooling time)
Yields: 48 squares
- 8″ square pan
- tin foil
- pastry blender
- 1 lb pitted dates, halved
- 1 TBSP brown sugar
- ½ C water
- 1 C flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 C butter, softened
- 1 C lightly-packed brown sugar
- 2 C rolled oats
- Pre-heat oven to 162°C / 325°F. Line pan with foil and grease.
- In a sauce pan combine: dates, 1 TBSP brown sugar, and water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 min or until it reaches the mushy consistency of jam. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl combine: flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Cut in butter.
- Cut in 1 C brown sugar and oats.
- Press half of the oat mixture into greased pan.
- Cover evenly with date filling.
- Cover with remaining oat mixture.
- Bake 35-40 min until light golden brown.
- Cool completely before cutting.