Original blog post here: https://spatulagoddess.com/2011/07/01/o-canada-cupcakes-by-patty/
Time required: 2 hrs
- muffin tin
- cupcake liners
- electric mixer
- 2¼ C flour
- 1¼ C granulated white sugar
- ½ C butter (one stick)
- 1¼ C milk
- 1 TBSP cocoa powder
- 3 TSP baking powder
- 1 TSP salt
- 1 TSP pure maple syrup
- 1 TSP pure vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- approx. 2 TBSP red food colouring
Buttercream frosting ingredients:
- 3 C icing sugar
- 5½ TBSP butter, room temperature
- 1/4 TSP pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 TSP pure maple syrup
- 2 TBSP milk
- 1 TBSP of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Pre-heat oven 177°C / 350°F.
- Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl, adding red dye last.
- Beat on High for 4 minutes, scraping sides constantly.
- Bake 20 min.
- Immediately remove cupcakes from pan and place on cooling rack.
- Cool at least 1 hr.
- In large bowl, cream butter and icing sugar together.
- Add half of the milk, and mix well.
- Add vanilla.
- Add remainder of the milk AND lemon juice.
- Mix until you can no longer feel sugar granules.