Original blog post: https://spatulagoddess.com/2012/01/11/candy-cane-creme-brulee/
Time required: 2 days
Yields: 6 portions
- mesh strainer
- 6 ramequins (wide and shallow are best)
- deep baking pan: 9″ x 13″ lined with dish towel you don’t mind getting wet
- fire-proof surface & blowtorch
- 2C heavy cream, room temperature
- 5 egg yolks, room temperature
- ⅓ C granulated white sugar
- half of one vanilla bean, split & scraped
- ⅛ TSP table salt
- ⅛ TSP ground cinnamon
- 1-2 TSP demerara sugar per portion (do not add until serving)
- 1 crushed candy cane
- Pre-heat oven to 325°F / 162°C, using centre rack. Fill kettle with water and simmer
- Split and scrape vanilla bean, adding shell and pods to saucepan.
- Add cream and cinnamon, and heat on Low until scalded. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, mix sugar and salt.
- Separate the yolks from the egg whites, gently whisk yolks into sugar mixture until just combined (save whites for use in something else).
- Temper hot cream into the egg mixture; adding one third at a time, stirring it in.
- Pour liquid through a strainer, into a glass measuring cup.
- Fold dish towel until it sits evenly in the bottom of deep baking dish, place your ramequins atop the towel. (Prevents slippage.)
- Use spoon to scrape the bottom of your glass measuring cup, where all the vanilla bean has sunk, make sure each ramequin has a fair amount of the bean; then pour the strained liquid into the ramequins.
- Place ramequins into bain marie, place in oven.
- Bake 35-40 minutes until the edges of the custard are set.
- Test for doneness by shaking, the centre should wobble like Jell-o. If the whole surface shakes give it 3-5 more minutes. If nothing shakes it’s overdone.
- Remove pan from oven, carefully remove ramequins from pan.
- Cool on wire rack 1 hr.
- Cover each ramequin with plastic wrap, chill overnight.
- Remove from fridge 30 minutes before consuming. Let sit 20 min, then remove the plastic wrap, and use a folded piece of paper towel to gently blot the surface to remove any condensation.
- Sprinkle the demerara sugar on top, tilting and tapping each ramequin to cover the entire surface. Repeat with crushed candy cane.
- Place ramequin on a fireproof surface like a marble slab, and use torch to carmelize the sugar.
- Return to fridge for 10 minutes, then eat.