Original blog post: https://spatulagoddess.com/2011/12/24/pattys-peppermint-bark/
Time required: 5 hours
Yields: enough for at least 7 friends
- chocolate thermometer
- 2 cookie trays: 18″ x 12″ and 14″ x 10″
- wax paper
- large freezer bag
- rubber gloves/tongs (don’t handle chocolate with bare hands)
- 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- 16 oz white chocolate
- a few drops of peppermint oil
- 6 jumbo peppermint candy canes
- Line baking trays with wax paper.
- Chop and temper semi-sweet chocolate. Stir in one drop of peppermint oil.
- Pour the chocolate into the trays, spreading evenly with a spatula.
- Chill in fridge for at least 10 minutes.
- Unwrap candy canes, place into freezer bag, crush with hammer. Set aside.
- Chop and temper white chocolate. Stir in 2-3 drops of peppermint oil.
- Stir crushed canes into white chocolate.
- Immediately pour white onto semi-sweet, spread evenly with spatula.
- Wait 15 min for layers to bond, then chill for at least 3 hours.
- Remove wax paper from bottom and let stand at room temp for 10 min.
- Using heavy blade, cut into strips, then cut into pieces.
- Place pieces into tins, separate each layer with a piece of waxed paper.
- Keep in fridge. Allow pieces to sit at room temp for 10 minutes before eating. The small pieces left over on the cutting board make a great garnish for cocoa or pancakes.