Original blog post: https://spatulagoddess.com/2011/05/14/pennsylvania-dutch-brownies/
Recipe source: Good Housekeeping
Time required: 3 hrs (1 hour prep + 2 hour cooling)
Yields: 30 pieces
- baking pan: 9″ x 13″
- 4 TBSP butter, room temp
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- ¼ C molasses
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 1½ C flour
- 1 C + 2 TSP granulated white sugar (used in separate stages)
- 1 TSP + ⅛ TSP ground cinnamon (used in separate stages)
- 1 TSP ground ginger
- ½ TSP ground cloves
- ½TSP baking soda
- ½ TSP salt
- Preheat oven to 190°C / 357°F.
- Line the baking pan with foil, and grease foil.
- In a sauce pan on Low, melt chocolate and butter.
- Stir in molasses, then eggs, one at time. Set aside.
- Combine in large bowl: flour, 1 C sugar, 1 TSP cinnamon, ginger, cloves, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir the dry mixture into the wet.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 15-17 minutes. Brownies are done when a toothpick inserted 1 inch from the edges comes out cleanly.
- While this is baking, in a small bowl combine 2 TSP white sugar and ⅛ cinnamon.
- As soon as pan is removed from oven, sprinkle sugar mix on top, then cool on rack (in pan) 2 hours.
- Peel off tinfoil, slice lengthwise in 3 strips, slice crosswise in 5 strips, then cut each piece diagonally.