Original blog post: https://spatulagoddess.com/2012/01/26/plum-side-down-cakes/
Recipe source: KitchenAid
Time required: 1 hour
Yields: 8 cakes
- electric mixer
- muffin tin
- baking pan
- 2 TBSP butter
- 3 TBSP brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2-3 plums, underripe
- ½ C granulated white sugar
- 2 TBSP white shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 C flour
- 1 TSP baking powder
- ¼ TSP salt
- ⅓ C milk
- Pre-heat oven to 176.6°C / 350°F. Set muffin tin on top of a large baking tray (to catch runoff) and grease 8 of the cups.
- Wash the plums, and slice into narrow pieces.
- Melt butter in the microwave and stir in brown sugar. Spoon into muffin cups, and layer plum slices on top of butter.
- In mixer, beat white sugar and shortening in on medium until fluffy.
- Combine in a bowl: flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir into shortening mixture.
- Add milk and beat on medium until smooth.
- Spoon into muffin cups, and shake to settle.
- Bake for 20 min, until a toothpick inserted comes out cleanly.
- Let cool in pan on wire rack for 10 min, then run knife around edges to loosen the cakes.
- Invert onto the cooling rack. Pieces of plum may be stuck inside the muffin tin, use tongs to remove and drop onto cakes. Cool another 5 min before eating.