Original blog post: https://spatulagoddess.com/2012/10/14/pumpkin-ice-cream/
Recipe source: KitchenAid
Time required: 3 hours (under 1 hour of actual work)
- KitchenAid mixer
- ice cream maker attachment
- mesh strainer
- 1½ C half and half (or light cream)
- 6 egg yolks
- ¾ C granulated white sugar
- ½ TSP vanilla
- ¾ TSP pumpkin pie spice
- 1½ C heavy cream
- 1½ C canned pumpkin
- Scald the half and half in a heavy-bottomed sauce pot. Remove from heat.
- Combine yolks, sugar, and vanilla.
- Use a strainer, and gradually temper in the hot half and half.
- Whisk in pumpkin pie spice.
- Return mixture to stove, heat on medium-low for 10 min, stirring frequently. It’ll thicken. Don’t let it boil though. Remove pot from heat.
- Add canned pumpkin and heavy cream to mixing bowl.
- Strain in the hot mixture and whisk together.
- Chill at least one hour before churning into ice cream.
- When you are ready to make ice cream, churn on speed 1 for 15-20 minutes until dasher clicks.
- Transfer to tupperware container and freeze at least 1 hour before serving.
- When ready to scoop, let stand 5 minutes to thaw.