Recipe source: Betty Crocker
Time required: 2 hours
Yields: 24 medium cupcakes or 48 mini cupcakes
- cup cake tray
- beaters or mixer
- hard spatula
- flour sifter (optional)
- 2¼ C of flour
- ¼ C of unsweetened cocoa
- 1 TSP salt
- ½ C unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1½ C granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temp
- 2 TBSP red food colouring
- 1 TSP vanilla bean paste
- 1 C buttermilk – or 1 C regular milk mixed with 1 TBSP white vinegar
- 1 TSP baking soda
- 1 TBSP white vinegar (in addition to the portion used in the milk)
- 3 C icing sugar
- 51/3 TBSP butter (1/3 C), room temp
- dash of vanilla bean paste (or 1½ TSP vanilla extract)
- 2 TBSP milk
- 1 TSP to 1 TBSP of lemon juice
- Pre-heat oven to 175°C / 350°F. Use centre rack.
- Line cupcake tray.In small bowl combine: flour, cocoa, and salt. Set aside.
- Measure out the milk and vinegar (or lemon juice), also set aside.
- In large bowl, beat the butter and sugar on Medium speed, until combined.
- Add eggs, beat 2 minutes until fluffy.
- Stir in food colouring.
- Stir in vanilla.
- On Low speed, beat in half of the flour mix until combined, then half of the milk. Continue adding half of each until everything is added.
- Beat in baking soda and vinegar.
- Fill the cupcake liners about two-thirds.
- Bake 20 minutes for regular size or 13 minutes for mini.
- Let cool in pan 2 minutes, remove from pan, set on cooling rack for 1 hr.
- In large bowl, cream butter and icing sugar together.
- Add half of the milk, and mix well.
- Add vanilla.
- Add remainder of the milk.
- Mix until you can no longer feel sugar granules.