Original blog post: https://spatulagoddess.com/2011/07/23/remarkable-mango-rhubarb-bites/
Recipe source: The Rhubarb Compendium
Time required: 1.5 hr
Yields: 12 servings
- baking pan, 13″ x 9″
- pastry blender
- 4 C rhubarb, washed and diced
- 3 C mango, peeled and cored and diced
- 1 C granulated white sugar
- 1 C dark brown sugar
- ½ C white shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 TSP baking soda
- ¼ TSP salt
- 1 TSP cinnamon
- 2 C flour
- ½ TSP vanilla
- Pre-heat oven to 177°C / 350°F degrees. Grease and flour baking pan.
- Place rhubarb and mango into a large bowl. Mix in half of the white sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream shortening, remaining white sugar, and brown sugar.
- In a small bowl, combine baking soda, salt, cinnamon and flour. Add to wet mixture.
- Mix in egg and vanilla into wet mixture.
- Combine wet mixture with fruit, and spoon batter in baking pan.
- Bake 40 min.
- Cool on rack at least one hour.
- Cut into squares; length-wise 3 strips and cross-wise 4 strips.