Original blost post: https://spatulagoddess.com/2011/07/10/rhubarb-apple-crumb-bars/
Time required: 2.5 hrs
Yields: 36 pieces
- baking pan: 10.5″ x 14.5″
- pastry blender
1 C butter, softened (2 sticks)
⅔ C icing sugar
1 TSP pure vanilla extract
2½ C flour
4 C rhubarb, washed and diced
4 C tart apples, peeled, cored, and diced
½ C granulated white sugar
3 TBSP powdered corn starch
2 TBSP water
⅔ C quick-cooking oats, uncooked
½ C flour
⅓ C brown sugar, packed
¼ TSP cinnamon, ground
½ C butter, slightly softened (1 stick)
- Pre-heat oven to 190.5°C / 375°F. Line baking pan with foil.
- Prepare the fruit and set it aside.
- Prepare crust: in mixer beat the butter, icing sugar and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy. Add flour and mix until just combined.
- Use hands to press dough into baking pan, bake 20 min.
- Cool on rack 5 min.
- Meanwhile prepare filling: in a large sauce pan, combine sugar, corn starch, and water.
- Add fruit. Bring to a boil over Medium heat, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir often.
- Meanwhile prepare topping: in a medium bowl stir: oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon. Cut in butter with pastry blender, and blend until you have coarse crumbs.
- Spread fruit mixture evenly over crust.
- Use hands to sprinkle topping over fruit.
- Cover with tinfoil and pierce with fork. Bake 30 min.
- Remove tin foil after 30 min, and lower temperature to 160°C / 320°F. Bake for an additional 25 min.
- Cool completely in pan before slicing. When ready to serve, lift from pan, peel foil off the bottom. Slice lengthwise into 6 strips, then crosswise into 6 pieces.