Original blog post: https://spatulagoddess.com/2011/06/28/rhubarb-cobbler/
Warning: the leaves of the rhubarb plant are poisonous.
Time required: 1.5 hrs
Yields: 9 portions
- 2 quart baking dish
- flour sifter
- foil-lined cookie tray
- 1 C flour
- 2 TBSP granulated white sugar
- ½ TSP baking powder
- ½ TSP salt
- ¼ C unsalted butter
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- ¼ C milk
- 1 C granulated white sugar
- 2 TBSP cornstarch
- ¼ TSP cinnamon
- 1 TBSP water
- 1 TBSP butter
- 4 C rhubarb stalks (about 6 stalks)
- Pre-heat oven to 204°C / 400°F.
- Wash rhubarb stalks and slice into one-inch pieces. Set aside.
- In a large bowl sift together: 1 C flour, 2 TBSP white sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in butter until coarse crumbs form.
- Slightly beat an egg and combine with milk.
- Mix egg into crumbs until moistened. Set aside.
- In a large pot, stir together: combine sugar, corn starch, cinnamon, water, and butter.
- Add rhubarb, stirring until all pieces are coated.
- Let mixture bubble, stirring occasionally, and cook 5-10 min.
- Pour hot fruit mixture into baking dish.
- Immediately spoon topping onto rhubarb.
- Bake 20 min.
- After baking, cool on wire rack at least 20 min. Scoop and serve.