Original blog post: https://spatulagoddess.com/2011/08/16/white-velvet-cupcakes/
Recipe source: adapted from cookbookmaniac, who adapted from Rose Levy Beranbaum
Time required: 2 hours
Yields: 36 mini cupcakes
- muffin tin
- cupcake liners
- electric mixer
- 3 egg whites, room temp
- ⅔ C milk
- 1½ TSP vanilla extract
- 2 C self-rising cake flour
- 1 C granulated white sugar
- 1 TSP baking powder
- ½ C butter, room temp
- one 8 0z block of cream cheese, room temp
- 4 TBSP butter, room temp
- 1 TBSP milk
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 TSP vanilla extract
- 4 C icing sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 175°C / 347°F. Use rack that is third from the top.
- Separate the egg whites into a medium bowl, and save the yolks for something else. Stir in the vanilla and three tablespoons of the milk. Whisk until just combined.
- In mixer with flat beater attachment, add: cake flour, white sugar, and baking powder. Beat on Low for 30 seconds.
- Add butter and remaining milk. Beat on Low until combined, and then beat on Medium for 90 seconds.
- Add half the egg white mixture and continue on Medium speed for 30 seconds. Add the remaining egg white mixture, beat for an additional 30 seconds.
- Spoon into muffin tins. Bake 14 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 1 minute, before transferring to cooling rack for at least one hour before frosting.
- Make your frosting by combining the cream cheese, butter, milk, lemon juice, and vanilla. Beat well, and add the icing sugar one cup at a time. Beat until smooth. Cut back the amount of milk and lemon juice to achieve firmer frosting.