Original blog post: https://spatulagoddess.com/2012/06/14/jareths-deep-dish-streusel-peach-pie/
Recipe source: KitchenAid 3 cookbooks in 1
Time required: 2 hours
Yields: 9 pieces
- pastry blender
- baking pan: 8″ x 8″
- wax paper
- rolling pin
- mesh strainer
- 2 large cans of peaches, drained (save ¾ C of syrup)
- ⅓ C granulated white sugar + 1 TBSP saved for later
- 1 TBSP powdered corn starch
- ½ TSP vanilla
- ½ C packed brown sugar
- 2 C flour, divided into 1½C and ½C
- ⅓ C quick oats
- ¼ C butter (half a stick)
- ½ TSP ground cinammon
- ½ TSP salt
- ½ C white shortening
- 4 TBSP cold water
- Pre-heat oven to 176°C / 350°F.
- Drain peaches and save the syrup.
- In a sauce pan on low, heat white sugar (all except the 1 TBSP) and corn starch. When it melts, stir in ¾ C of the peach syrup, adding it gradually. Keep mixture on low for 10 min, it should thicken. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Set aside.
- Combine in a bowl: brown sugar, ½ C flour, oats, and cinnamon.
- Stir in melted butter and you’ll have a crumbly topping. Set aside.
- Combine in a bowl: remaining 1½ C flour, 1 TBSP sugar, and salt. Cut in shortening.
- Add cold water one tablespoon at a time and mix with fork.
- Roll out crust until it measures 10″ square. Trim away excess and press crust into pan.
- Drop peaches onto crust, add warm syrup, add topping.
- Bake 45 min. Cool on wire rack. Serve warm or chilled.