In celebration of Labyrinth Day yesterday I made this last night:
Why do I celebrate Labyrinth Day? In the hopes that one bite will transport me to a
place guy like this:
Goblin King! Be still my heart.
This recipe comes from KitchenAid 3 cookbooks in 1 which is available on Amazon.com I bought the book for this recipe in particular actually, have been waiting for months for June 13 to roll round so I could try this out.
Time required: 2 hours
Yields: 9 pieces
Cost per slice: $4
Total cost if you have none of the ingredients: $36
Kitchen implements I used:
- pastry blender
- baking pan: 8″ x 8″
- wax paper
- rolling pin
- mesh strainer
- 2 large cans of peaches, drained (save ¾ C of syrup)
- ⅓ C granulated white sugar + 1 TBSP saved for later
- 1 TBSP powdered corn starch
- ½ TSP vanilla
- ½ C packed brown sugar
- 2 C flour, divided into 1½C and ½C
- ⅓ C quick oats
- ¼ C butter (half a stick)
- ½ TSP ground cinammon
- ½ TSP salt
- ½ C white shortening
- 4 TBSP cold water
1. Pre-heat oven to 176°C / 350°F. Drain peaches and save the syrup.
2. In a sauce pan on low, heat white sugar (all except the 1 TBSP) and corn starch.
When it melts, stir in ¾ C of the peach syrup, adding it gradually.
Keep mixture on low for 10 min, it should thicken. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Set aside.
3. Combine in a bowl: brown sugar, ½ C flour, oats, and cinnamon. Stir in melted butter and you’ll have a crumbly topping. Set aside.
4. Combine in a bowl: remaining 1½ C flour, 1 TBSP sugar, and salt. Cut in shortening.
5. Add water one tablespoon at a time and mix with fork.
6. Roll out crust until it measures 10″ square. I rolled it out between two layers of wax paper.
7. Trim away excess and press crust into pan. Peel off wax paper.
8. Drop peaches onto crust, add warm syrup, add topping.
9. Bake 45 min. Cool on wire rack.
The book says to serve warm. I tried one piece last night warm, and one piece this morning. I liked it better the next day.
Verdict: I liked this. I imagine with fresh peaches it would be extra good, but after what happened on Labyrinth Day 2011 I couldn’t be bothered. My big plan was to post this last night at the 13th hour (1am), but I got sleepy. I intended to send Boyfriend into work with some but I was enjoying a pleasant dream about Jareth and I didn’t get up in time. Goblin King, you can peach me away anytime.
Playlist: Labyrinth soundtrack
“Peach me away!” Ha ha, I love you, crazy person!
I re-read last years Labyrinth post and laughed all over again.
I got in trouble with Boyfriend for bringing up what happened last year, ha ha ha.
Mmmmm. I love peach pie. Love the idea of a huge rectangular pie, it looks fantastic. I agree, much better cold. A little whipped cream makes it perfect. Assuming it doesn’t become butter. So did you get the ingredients yourself this year 🙂 ?