Original blog post: https://spatulagoddess.com/2011/09/20/pattys-turtle-brownies/
Time required: 2 hr
Yields: about 30 pieces
- baking pan: 9″ x 13″
- parchment paper
- pastry blender
- 2 C flour
- divided amounts of brown sugar, 1 C and ¾ C
- divided amounts of margarine, ½ C and ¾ C
- 1½ C chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2 C milk chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 176° C / 350°F. Line baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix 1 C of sugar with the flour, and cut in ½ C margarine. with a pastry blender, blending until coarse crumbs form.
- Pat mixture into baking pan.
- Sprinkle nuts onto crust if desired.
- In a heavy-bottomed sauce pan, melt the remaining amounts of sugar and margarine (¾ C of each), and stir constantly. Once mixture is boiling, let it boil for 1 minute, then immediately pour onto crust.
- Use a spatula to quickly spread the caramel.
- Bake in the oven for 20 min.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over hot crust. Wait 3 minutes.
- Use spatula to gently spread chocolate.
- Chill for at least one hour and cut into squares.