Ah, turtles. Despite the fact that I hate nuts, I thoroughly enjoy Nestlé Turtles, and I really enjoy turtle brownies (sans nuts). I haven’t baked much lately because I AM SUPER STRESSED OUT, and today I was in the mood for something simple. I decided to make half with nuts for Boyfriend because I am a really nice person.
Good to know before you start:
This process involves caramelizing sugar, which I have written about before, so let me sum up: caramelizing can be rather dangerous and lead to hideous scarring. Try not to maim yourself.
Time required: 2 hours (40 min prep, 20 min bake, 1 hr chill)
Yields: about 30 pieces
Cost per piece: $1.66
Total cost if you have none of the ingredients: $18.00
Kitchen implements I used:
- baking pan: 9″ x 13″
- parchment paper
- pastry blender
- 2 C flour
- divided amounts of brown sugar, 1 C and ¾ C
- divided amounts of margarine, ½ C and ¾ C
- 1½ C chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2 C milk chocolate chips
1. Pre-heat oven to 176° C / 350°F. Line baking pan with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix 1 C of sugar with the flour, and cut in ½ C margarine. with a pastry blender, blending until coarse crumbs form.
You can do this the smart way and use pre-measured blocks of margarine, or you can do it the foolish way. Anyway, moving right along…
3. Pat mixture into baking pan.
4. Sprinkle nuts onto crust. Ugh, disgusting. I’m only doing this for Boyfriend’s sake so I’ll put nuts on half. Or…
one third. Yup looks like half to me!
5. In a heavy-bottomed sauce pan, melt the remaining amounts of sugar and margarine (¾ C of each), and stir constantly. Once mixture is boiling, let it boil for 1 minute, then immediately pour onto crust.
Use a spatula to carefully spread the caramel, work quickly because as the caramel cools it will firm and start to tear up the crust.
6. Bake in the oven for 20 min.
7. Sprinkle chocolate chips over hot crust. Wait 3 minutes, giving the chocolate time to melt.
8. Use spatula to gently spread chocolate.
9. Chill for at least one hour and cut into squares.
His and hers! No nuts for me. Seriously, why would anybody want to spoil turtles with nuts? Reptiles lay eggs anyway.
Verdict: Delicious! I love turtle brownies, they are cheap, they are quick, and they are easy to make.
Playlist: Lacuna Coil
What is your favourite stress-free dessert to fall back on?
Oh wow, these look amazing and really delicious.
Thanks. I am quite partial to them.
If you mention a previous post (caramelization) then you should hyperlink through your referencing text as some readers will be new and interested in reading what you said in detail.
I love these but they take too long to cool. In a stress attack I’m more likely to bake cookies.
Also surprised by the AMOUNT of nuts in boyfriend’s side “because I am a very nice person” bwhahhahaha.
I updated it.
They only take an hour to cool but I hate waiting for that too. Yeah, well… he got turtle brownies with nuts so whatever! 🙂