Original blog post: https://spatulagoddess.com/2012/07/15/tarte-au-citron-vert/
Time required: 1 hour
Yields: at least 12 pieces
- sauce pan
- oven-safe glass bowl
- mesh strainer
- fluted tart pan with removable bottom, or pie plate
Tart shell ingredients:
- 6 TBSP unsalted butter, cut in pieces
- 1 TBSP vegetable oil
- 3 TBSP water
- 1 TBSP granulated white sugar
- ⅛ TSP salt
- 1 C flour, rounded
Lime filling ingredients:
- 1 C lime juice (5 key limes)
- grated zest of 3 limes, wash and dry them first
- 1 C granulated white sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut in pieces
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- Pre-heat oven to 210°C / 410° F. Weigh out flour and set aside.
- In an oven-safe bowl combine: butter, veg oil, water, sugar, and salt.
- Bake 15 min and remove from oven.
- Immediately add flour and stir quickly until it forms a ball.
- Transfer to tart pan and use spoon or hand to press down. Pierce with fork many times.
- Bake shell 15 min, then cool on wire rack.
- LOWER OVEN TEMPERATURE TO 180°C / 350°F.
- In a sauce pan combine: lime juice, zest, sugar, and butter. Heat on low.
- In a bowl whisk eggs and egg yolks.
- Once the butter has melted on the stove, temper some of the hot liquid into the eggs, then pour the warmed egg mixture back into the sauce pan.
- Cook on low until mixture thickens and small bubbles start to form. Stir non-stop.
- Pour lime mixture through strainer directly onto tart.
- Shake tin to level it out, bake 5 min.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack, and chill before slicing. Serve chilled.