Original blog post: https://spatulagoddess.com/2014/07/25/washington-pie/
Recipe source: Better Homes and Gardens, unsure which edition
Time required: 2 hours
Yields: 12 slices
- stand mixer
- two 9″ round pans
- 2 egg whites
- ½ C white sugar
- 2¼ C cake flour
- 1 C white sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅓ C vegetable oil
- 1 C milk
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- 2 egg yolks
- 5 TBSP pure strawberry or raspberry jam
- Pre-heat oven to 176°C / 350°F. Grease and flour two 9″ rounds.
- Separate the eggs, put whites into the mixing bowl, put yolks into small bowl for later.
- Beat whites until soft peaks form (when you remove the beater they’ll sink down).
- Gradually add ½ C sugar, beating until very stiff peaks form (you remove beater and egg stays upright).
- Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add: vegetable oil, vanilla, and half the milk to the dry ingredients. Beat 1 min on Medium, scrap sides 3 times.
- Add remaining milk and yolks. Beat 1 min, scrape sides 3 times.
- Gently fold egg white mixture into 2nd bowl, turn the bowl and use a down, up, over motion.
- Divide batter into pans, bake 25 min.
- Cool in pan 10 min before removing from pan and transferring to wire rack.
- Cool one hour.
- Position one cake so that the rounded side is facing down and you have a flat surface.
- Place a few tablespoons of jam in a glass bowl and microwave 40 seconds, spread warm jam over the flat cake surface.
- Place second cake on top (round side down again), frost flat surface with vanilla buttercream.