I know. It sounds weird. But it’s strangely delicious.
I found this recipe in a book called Healthy Desserts, there is no author listed but the byline says Culinary Notebooks. I got it at Chapters.
Time required: 1.5 hours
Yields: 3-4 puddings
Total cost if you have none of the ingredients: $24
Cost per pudding: $6
Kitchen implements I used:
- food processor
- 3 avocados, peeled and pitted
- ½ C cocoa
- ⅔ C honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- dash of coarse sea salt
1. Peel and pit the avocados, and use a butter knife to gently separate the peel from the fruit. I fumbled one and dropped half an avocado on the floor so I didn’t have enough. Curse and scream as desired.
2. Puree until smooth, and add everything except the salt. Mix well.
During the taste test it was way too bitter so I doubled the amount of honey from ⅓C to ⅔C which improved things dramatically, however I find it now tastes a bit too honeyed. Foiled again.
3. Spoon into ramequins and sprinkle with sea salt.
5. Cover in plastic wrap and chill for an hour.
“Here, try it.”
“No thank you.”
“You… don’t want it? Why not??”
“You said it was bitter!”
“That was before I added more honey! Try it. Before my feelings are hurt.”
“Okay… it tastes… like chocolate pudding.”
“But do you like it?”
“It tastes like chocolate pudding.”
“So that’s a yes?”
Playlist: Bat for Lashes – Siren Song